We consider best practice sustainability and environmental practices to be an essential part of our market leadership.
At Blue Star we call our multi-dimensional sustainability programme Blue Skies. It’s our commitment to make the right decisions and to take the right actions to improve the social and environmental wellbeing of our people, our customers and the communities where we live and work.
Blue Skies has 3 core pillars:
Blue Star’s environmental management systems form a vital part of our market leading production facilities, and have done for a long time. In 2006 we led significant changes in the way paper was sourced responsibly in New Zealand, helping to cut this market’s ties to a number of unsustainable paper mills overseas.
We offer highly advanced manufacturing operations with unparalleled environmental credentials including:
Enviro-Mark Gold Certification
In late 2018 we embarked on the three-step journey towards Enviro-Mark Gold Certification- the first major multi-site print and media company in New Zealand to do so. For Blue Star, achieving this is about accountability. We are taking a logical and systematic approach to our environmental management systems and 80% of our sites are now Enviro-Mark Gold Certified. As our journey continues, the rest should reach that certification by late 2019.
Forest Stewardship Council® Chain of Custody Certification
FSC® is a non-governmental organisation that promotes the responsible management of the world’s forests. Our FSC Chain of Custody certification allows our customers to use the FSC logo on the products we print for them. Blue Star was the first New Zealand print business to receive FSC multi-site certification in 2007.
Forest Certification™ Chain of Custody Certification
The Program for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) is an international non-profit organisation dedicated to sustainable forest management. Our PEFC Chain of Custody certification allows our customers to use the PEFC logo on the products we print for them.
Our certifications aren’t the only evidence of our commitment to the environment:
- We have led the industry by introducing mineral oil-free vegetable based inks.
- In 2018 we introduced new efficient technology to replace 40% of our fleet of traditional offset printers. We now have fewer machines, less paper wastage and lower power consumption.
But it’s no good to say we’re doing our bit if the rest of the supply chain isn’t as committed as we are, which is why we only partner with like minded supppliers in our network. All our key suppliers are ISO14001 certified and we encourage all suppliers in our supply program to demonstrate sustainable sourcing practises.
- We actively recycle toner bottles, so far over 3,500 bottles have been diverted from going to landfill.
- One of our main suppliers, Ricoh has not only recevied ISO14001 but is also CarbonNZero certified.
- Both HP, our supplier of our Indigo printing machines and inks, and our Offset ink suppliers have full ISO 14001 certification.
Blue Star employs more than 600 people across New Zealand and we believe they are a key point of difference. They’re our greatest asset. We value their diversity and individual contributions towards building a sustainable and successful future.
We have recently implemented a Diversity and Inclusion Policy that aligns with our Gender Pay Policy that has also been recently released.
Our manufacturing heritage has instilled a strong focus on health and safety across the business. We have robust training programmes, governance, and reporting is in place to ensure that we provide safe and well-functioning workplaces for all staff. A key metric we report on weekly is our Lost Time Injury days and we share this with all staff in our monthly newsletter.
Investing in our people is a critical part of Blue Skies. We have a number of programmes aimed at improving the diversity of our staff, further developing skills and qualifications and sourcing talented graduates and apprentices. We work with Competenz for ongoing development of our production staff and have invested heavily in sales and sales leadership programs for our client facing staff. With the implementation of new technology and service offerings a key piece is the ongoing retraining and upskilling of our existing teams.
The strength of our development and training programmes is reflected in the longevity of our staff – over half of our people have been with us for more than five years and one in six has worked for us for more than twelve years.
Some of the health, safety and employee-focused practices we have in place at Blue Star include:
- WorkSafe New Zealand site audits
- Annual employee wellbeing checks
- EAP counselling services for employees in need
- Annual influenza immunisations
- Employee satisfaction surveys
- Employee involvement in annual charity fundraisers
Our Blue Skies community involvement programme has a simple goal – to give back to the communities in which we live and work. Whether that’s through supporting our local sporting teams, charities, schools or community organisations, we believe they are all equally important in keeping our local communities and our country vibrant.
Blue Star has a proud history of supporting not-for-profit organisations. Our key areas of support are in health, education, sports and the arts.
- Paralympics New Zealand
- Auckland Medical Research Foundation
- Variety – the Children’s Charity
- Arts Foundation
- Auckland Down Syndrome Association
- Design Assembly NZ
- The Art Deco Trust
- Cranford Hospice via The Hawkes Bay Wine Auction
- Tremain`s Triathalon
- Lowe Walker Rescue Helicopter
- Sport Hawkes Bay
- Central Districts Cricket
- New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
- Canterbury Rugby Football Union
- Christchurch City Mission
- Ronald McDonald House South Island
- Child Cancer Foundation
- Broad-ly Speaking, Hard-ly Speaking Christchurch